Friday, October 8, 2010

Figuring Out Freelance

One week ago today I walked out of my job. Maybe that doesn't explain the situation exactly, but we will just leave it at that for now. Before freelancing full time, I did a lot of work on the side; PLR, press releases, technical manuals, web content and even some classic magazine articles.

Here was the dilemma:

My freelance business was as big as it could grow.

Basically, I had taken on as many clients as I possibly could while still working my day job. I think this is the toughest part for many people who are interested in the full-time freelance route because there are not enough hours in a day to help enough clients to justify quitting your job. That being said, it is because of your job that you cannot take on anymore clients - seems like Murphy's Law amended the Catch-22 provision just in time.

I am not sure of the percentages, but I would imagine many freelance enthusiasts finally took the step because they had a little nudge. This nudge may have come in the form of a pink slip of paper, or job-related stresses which put them over the edge, but I would be curious as to how many people actually planned out the steps to full-time.

Is the "happenstance freelancer" the norm rather than the anomaly?

It has been almost two years since I have taken part in the freelance community and contributed in any thought-provoking way. Of course I site the obvious reasons; "I got really busy" and "My dog deleted my feed reader" or my personal favorite "Twitter is all the community I need." Well, sure it is, if you are actively building relationships with other freelancers instead of doubling up on the tech and gadget gurus who you don't even converse with.


It is the equivalent of speed dating someone who doesn't even know you exist.

You know the routine, add as many people as you can possibly take in + 100 more and drool over their tweets as you consume every article ever written by them...

What was that? You have no idea what I am talking about??

OK, so...that was kind of awkward.

Anyway, I believe it is time to dive back into the community and start to grow and learn even more about this new life that is ahead of me and my family. I am hoping that somewhere along the way, I will be able to pass along some helpful information and maybe even return the favor to a new happenstance freelancer.

Leave a comment downstairs and tell me your freelance story. Let's make our own data table.

~Sal

Prolific Studios
Creativity. Defined.

1 comment:

  1. Ohhh look the comment box is back, and I don't have any freelance stories yet... Maybe sometime soon, at the very least I'll stick with my blog and attempting to branch from there.

    ReplyDelete